Children 3 - 6 Years
After our primary teeth have erupted completely at about 30 months, our mouth stays pretty stable till about 6 years of age.
What are the most important stages towards a beautiful smile?
- Getting to know your dentist. This is about trust and not so much about your teeth.
- Having regular checks. This prevents large cavities and abscesses.
- Retaining your baby teeth till they fall out will stimulate normal growth and dental development.
- Putting the brakes on sucking! Sucking a thumb or finger after 5 or 6 years can cause major dental problems. Stopping these habits can be done by using special appliances for a specific time.
- At about 6 years, a big new tooth will come out behind the last baby molar. This is called the 6-year molar and is a permanent tooth.